The wait is finally over. Xiaomi has unveiled the Mi Mix 2s, which is an updated version of last year’s Mi Mix 2.
The phone comes with dual cameras this time around with beefed up specs overall.
Design and Display
Not much has changed in terms of design for the Mix 2S. On the front, it has a bezel-less 5.99-inch Full HD+ (2160 x 1080) 18:9 display. The camera is located on the chin at the bottom, just like the Mix 2.
Xiaomi Opens an Official Store at Giga Mall Islamabad [Pictures]
The back is where the Mix 2S looks different with a vertically oriented dual camera setup, which looks quite similar to the iPhone X.
It still has a ceramic build with an aluminum frame on the sides, however, it lacks a headphone jack and water/dust proofing.
Hardware and OS
Moving on the inside, Xiaomi has added the new octa-core Snapdragon 845 processor in the Mi Mix 2S, along with 6/8 GB RAM and 64/128/256 GB of internal storage. Unfortunately, there is no microSD card slot.
For the OS, Mi Mix 2S runs on Android 8.0 Oreo with Xiaomi’s MIUI 9.5 skin. What’s new here is that Xiaomi has developed its own AI based virtual assistant, similar to Samsung’s Bixby or Google Assistant.
Xiaomi is also the first Chinese smartphone maker to adopt Google’s ARCore technology, which enables Augmented Reality apps. Expect to see futuristic AR apps to debut on the Mi Mix 2S in coming months.
It supports 43 different 2G, 3G, and 4G LTE bands and is Dual SIM by default.
Cameras were a major focal point for Xiaomi’s Mi Mix 2S reveal. Going in on the dual camera trend, the phone has two 12 MP sensors at the back with a wide angle (f/1.8) and a telephoto (f/2.4) lens. It includes a Dual LED flash and 4-axis optical image stabilization.
The cameras include support for AI-based portrait mode, dynamic bokeh effects and scene detection which can detect 200+ different scenes. Low light performance has been improved with 1.4-micron pixels for capturing more light.
Autofocus speed and accuracy has been enhanced with dual pixel autofocus, which works great in low light as well.
The front camera is capable of face detection and unlock, but has a comparatively average 5 MP sensor.
Battery and Price
Last but not the least is the battery. Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S has a 3,400 mAh unit with support for fast charging (Quick Charge 3.0) as well as wireless charging, despite having a ceramic back.
For the price, Mi Mix 2S is available in 6GB+64GB, 6GB+128GB and 8GB+256GB variants for CNY 3299 (~Rs. 60,800), CNY 3599 (~Rs. 66,300), and CNY 3999 (Rs. 73,700) respectively.
Expect the Mi Mix 2S to launch in Pakistan in the next month or two.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S Specifications
- CPU: 4x 2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x 1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- OS: Android 8.0 Oreo-based MIUI 9.5
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G Dual Sim (supports 43 bands)
- Ceramic body with aluminum frame
- Special audio recording hardware/software for clarity
- Ultrasonic proximity sensor
- Fingerprint scanner
- Dual cameras
- Display: 6″ IPS LCD 18:9 display with Full HD+ (2160 x 1080) resolution
- RAM: 6/8 GB
- Internal: 64/128/256 GB
- Card slot: No
- Primary: 12 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4 µm) + 12 MP (f/2.4, 1/2.9″, 1.0 µm), 2x optical zoom, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, 4-axis OIS, dual-LED dual-tone flash
- Secondary: 5 MP
- Connectivity: NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5, GPS
- Battery: 3,400 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0 and Qi Wireless charging
- Colors: White, Black
- Price: 6/64 GB (Rs. 60,800), 6/128 GB (Rs. 66,300), 8/256 GB (Rs. 73,700)